Chef Zam’s Chicken Kabsa Recipe (One-Pot Meal in Cosmic Cookware)
If aromatic spices and bold flavours describe your perfect dinner, this recipe is for you.
After a long day, a tasty one-pot meal is the #selfcare you and your loved ones deserve. Not only do you have less to clean up, but we made sure this Chicken Kabsa recipe is simple for easy cooking. Think maximum pleasure, minimum effort.
Now that’s the best kind of cooking with Cosmic’s toxic-free, healthy cookware!
Prof. Dato’ Chef Zam, the charming celebrity chef behind Rich Talents International College and co-founder of Food Aid Foundation, shows us exactly how it’s done.
What is Chicken Kabsa?
Known as the national dish of Arab countries, Chicken Kabsa is a mouth-watering meal of juicy grilled chicken served on fluffy spice-infused rice. It’s flavour bomb in each bite. Think warm smoky spices, sweet-sour notes of ripe tomatoes, and well-balanced flavours on the palate. Yum!
Chef Zam’s Chicken Kabsa
- 4 chicken legs - scored & seasoned with salt
- 3 tablespoons ghee/butter/oil
- 1 large onion - diced
- 3 garlic cloves - crushed
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3 ripe tomatoes - skinned & roughly chopped
- ½ tablespoon coriander powder
- ½ tablespoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 3 cardamom pods
- 2 dried bay leaves
- 1 black dried lime - pierced
- 3 cups basmati rice - washed & soaked for 1 hour
- 2 chicken stock cubes
- 6 cups of water
Salt to taste
- Lemon slices
- Toasted almond slivers
- In a deep non-stick pot, heat ghee and fry chicken legs until the skin browns. Set aside.
In the same pot, sauté whole dry spices with diced onion and garlic until translucent.
On medium heat, add bay leaf, powdered spices, tomato paste, chopped tomatoes, chicken stock cubes and salt. Stir till combined and let it cook for 2-3 minutes.
Pour in water and bring it to a simmer.
- Add in black dried lime and return browned chicken to the simmering broth. Cover pot and let it cook for 5 - 8 minutes. Remove chicken and set aside.
Then pour in basmati rice. Once it comes to a boil, reduce heat, cover and continue cooking on low for 25 - 30 minutes until water is fully absorbed.
Carefully open the pot lid at an angle (to prevent steam from escaping) and return partially-cooked chicken legs to the pot. Leave it for another 5 -8 minutes then turn the heat off and let it set for a few minutes.
- Fluff rice with a fork, then serve with a garnish of fresh parsley, lemon slices and toasted almond slivers.
Don’t fuss about picking the right serving dish if you’re cooking with the Cosmo Casserole. Just bring the piping hot Chicken Kabsa straight from the stovetop to your dining table and dig in!
Why use the Cosmo Casserole?
This durable casserole pot is designed for low and slow cooking, just like this recipe requires. Its two-coat system retains heat evenly for long hours, and the non-stick ceramic coating gives you healthy cooking with less oil. It even bakes in the oven up to 230° C like a dutch oven.
Home cooking does not have to be a chore with Cosmic Cookware.
No stress, no sweat. Just joyful cooking. That’s the Cosmic way.
Get started today!