Easy Mee Rebus Calong Recipe with Chef Zam & Cosmic Cookware
In line with Cosmic Cookware’s looks good, cooks good celebration, we are thrilled to partner with the delightful Chef Zam to bring you a series of easy recipes you’ll love!
Chef Zam is one of Malaysia’s favourite celebrity chefs who has expanded his successful career to educating aspiring chefs at his Rich Talents International College and rescuing surplus food for the needy through the Food Aid Foundation.
Mee Rebus Calong holds a special place in the heart of this Terengganu native.
What is Mee Rebus Calong?
It is a traditional soup noodle meal widely enjoyed in Terengganu and along the East Coast of Malaysia. The star of this healthy, flavourful dish is its hand-rolled fish balls made from scratch. No flour, no fillers, no additives. Just wholesome protein-packed fish!
Mung takboh makang ke? Sedak ni 🤤
Now let’s get cooking!
Chef Zam’s Mee Rebus Calong with Keropok
- 300 gm fresh sardine/mackerel - meat only
- 1 red onion - roughly sliced
- 1-2 garlic cloves
- ½ teaspoon black peppercorns
- Salt to taste
For soup base
- 1 red onion - thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves - thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1.5 litres of water
- 1 ikan bilis stock cube
- 20 pieces of fish crackers (keropok ikan)
- 1 tablespoon freshly ground black pepper
For soup ingredients
- 1 pack yellow noodles
- ½ pack tofu pok - cut into halves
- 1 bundle of choy sum - cut & separate leaves from stalks
- 20 tiger prawns - peeled & deveined
- 2 red chillies - sliced
Salt to taste
- Crispy fried garlic
- Fried onions
- In a food processor, combine fish meat with red onion, garlic, black peppercorns and salt then grind until it forms a paste. Wet hands and roll fish paste into round balls. Set aside.
- Heat cooking oil in a non-stick high-sided fry pan, then sauté sliced red onions with sliced garlic until crisp and golden brown.
- In the same pan, add water and ikan bilis stock cube then bring it to a boil.
- As it boils, add fish crackers and freshly ground black pepper. Simmer until fish crackers expand and soften. Then, add in the fish balls and continue cooking.
- Add tiger prawns, tofu pok, sliced chillies and choy sum stalks. Let it cook for 2 minutes.
- Once cooked, add yellow noodles and choy sum leaves then simmer for 3 minutes.
- Garnish with crispy fried garlic and fried onions.
When it’s done, just serve this one-pan meal straight from stovetop to table in the Cosmo Pan.
What is the Cosmo Pan?
Cosmo Pan is the pop of colour your kitchen needs!
This chemical-free, non-stick pan is made for perfect stir-frying, simmering and boiling. A versatile Swiss-certified ceramic cookware brought to you by Cosmic Cookware.
We love its vertical, high sides that make one-pan meals for the family so effortless! Cleaning is an absolute breeze, elevating your joy in cooking healthy, delicious meals every day.
When it looks this good, it’s got to cook good too 😉
looks good, cooks good
Whether it’s that comfort food you’ve made a dozen times or an exciting recipe you want to experiment with, Cosmic Cookware brings you your next best pan for joyful cooking every day. Make memories with happy cooking! Psst, it complements any kitchen too.